Tuesday, March 3, 2015

I'm a Writer, Dammit

I stumbled across this article today called How to Know If You Are Really a Writer  but, truly, If You Have to Wonder If You Are Really a Writer Then How Can You Be One?  But wait!  That’s not true – since one way to know is if you are plagued with self-doubt.  Check!
Lose myself in imagination?  Check.  Introspective people watcher?  Loss of concentration and/or drifting away from reality to the dismay of others?  Lying awake in the middle of the night as the creative mind keeps spinning tales I must remember to remember in the morning? Check, check, and check.  The author simply states that if you write – anything – you are a writer.

Real life does get in the way of the creative mind.  Which is why there are few words falling from my fingertips of late.  I have all these thoughts whirling around inside my head, ideas to write about, things to flesh out… but they get lost in the day-to-day. 

I’m hoping to change that.  I’m trying to be productive while the transcription companies are in a hiring freeze and winter plods on with this ridiculous weather.  I’m getting punchy.  Too many snow days with kids home bickering with one another – really, how hard is it to just shut their bedroom doors?  You know it’s bad when you’re making conversation with the mammogram scheduler on the other end of the line.
 
I’ve got a lot to say, but getting it into black and white is another issue.  And always – that nagging little me on my shoulder saying I have nothing worthwhile to say.  I’ve got one on each shoulder.  One says go ahead – you can do it, it’s funny, and the other one tells me my writing is self-absorbed and no one cares.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of leaving Blogger. I’ve been thinking about starting a second blog, maybe even a third.  I’ve been thinking about blogging anonymously.  THIS is what the creative mind does, it keeps coming up with more and more distractions.

In other news, I started writing it.  I decided to choose a direction for a long-piece, aka novel, and sat down one day and just started.  And then I got sidelined by an unlikely source, causing me to doubt the words I wanted to say, and fearing the repercussions of writing something so personal and damning.  I guess that’s what lawyers are for.


Aaaaaannnnnd……… another work soon to be in progress is a collaboration with my mom that is long overdue.  Let’s hope this one gets off the ground quicker than my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment